Skills required: long-tail cast on, knitting, purling, increasing, decreasing, knitting in the round, picking up stitches, working
short rows (explanations provided,) twisted stitches (i.e., ktbl and ptbl: link to video tutorial provided).
Construction: This sweater is knit seamlessly from the top down. First it is worked flat, then stitches for the neck placket are cast on and the
sweater is then worked in the round. Stitches are picked up around the neckline to work the shawl collar, which is knit flat using short rows. The bottom edges of the collar are sewn onto the body. The sleeves are worked in the round.
Here’s one that I think every little man AND every little lady should have :)
Shawl collars are always nice and cozy under a coat -- especially for children who, like mine, adamantly reject scarves… Designed to be relatively close-fitting, this sweater won’t add bulk under a jacket.
The twisted rib detail and a fun (and easy!) texture stitch add a bit of sophistication. Comfort and style!
The individual pattern is available for purchase in pdf format for 5.25 Euros.
Sizes available: 3mo (6mo, 12mo, 18mo // 2yo, 4yo, 6yo, 8yo)
To fit chest: 16 (17, 18, 19 // 21, 23, 25, 26.5) inches or 40.5 (43, 46, 48 // 53.5, 58.5, 63.5, 67.5) cm.
Garment chest: 17.5 (19.25, 20, 21.5 // 22.75, 25.25, 27.75, 28.5) inches or 44.5 (48.5, 51, 55 // 58, 64, 70.5, 72) cm.
- Approximately 275 (300, 350, 400 // 450, 550, 600, 700) yds or 251 (274, 320, 366 // 411, 601, 549, 640) meters of worsted to dk weight merino or merino blend yarn.
20 sts x 26 rounds = 4 inches or 10cm in textured stitch in the round using larger needles, after blocking
- 20 sts x 30 rounds = 4 inches or 10cm in stockinette stitch in the round using smaller needles, after blocking
- US 6 or 4mm 16-inch or 40cm circular needle for five smallest sizes, 24-inches or 60cm circular needle for three larger sizes (or size needed to match stockinette stitch gauge).
- 1 set of matching dpns for stockinette portion of sleeves.
- US 8 or 5mm 16-inch or 40cm circular needle for five smallest sizes, 24-inches or 60cm circular needle for three larger sizes to work the textured portion (or size needed to match textured stitch gauge) and hem.
- 1 set of matching dpns for textured portion of sleeves.
- 4 stitch markers
- tapestry needle
- 2 stitch holders or pieces of scrap yarn for sleeves
- 2 buttons 3/8 inch or 1 cm diameter