Skills required: casting on, working a picot hem (explained in pattern), knitting, purling, increasing, decreasing, knitting in the round, I-cord edging (explained in pattern and link to tutorial), yarn over, working a simple cable pattern, box pleat (explained in pattern and link to tutorial), picking up stitches, binding off, I-cord bind off (explained in pattern and link to tutorial), a small amount of grafting (link to tutorial provided).
Construction: This dress is worked seamlessly in the round, from the bottom-up, then the front and back are worked flat separately, featuring an I-cord edging and box pleats.There are two openings at the sides, fastened with buttons. Simple cables are worked on either sides of the front of the dress and continue along the straps. The length of the dress can easily be adjusted by removing or adding rounds before working the box pleats.
This irresistible little pinafore is a very fun and quick knit, with thoughtful details and easy-yet-effective techniques. The result is a crisp, well-finished, adorable garment. Perfect as a sweet dress for special occasions, it also works as a practical layering piece for every day play.
The individual pattern is available for purchase in pdf format for 5.25 Euros.
NB (3mo, 6mo, 12mo // 18mo, 2yo, 4yo, 6yo)
To fit chest: 15 (16, 17, 18 // 19, 21, 23, 25) inches or 38 (40.5, 43, 45.5 // 48.5, 53.5, 58.5, 63.5) cm.
Finished garment chest: 16 (17.75, 18.75, 19.5 // 20.5, 22.25, 25, 26.75) inches or 40.5 (45, 47.5, 49.5 // 52, 56.5, 63.5, 68) cm.
- Approximately 250 (300, 325, 375 // 450, 475, 500, 525) yds or 229 (274, 297, 343 // 411, 434, 457, 480) meters of worsted weight yarn.
To make a warmer-weather garment, I recommend a Cotton/Acrylic blend that has a bit of stretch, such as Lion Brand Cotton-Ease, Berroco Weekend, Rowan’s All Seasons Cotton etc.
- 18 sts x 32 rounds = 4 inches or 10cm in stockinette stitch in the round using larger needle
- US 8 or 5mm 24-inch or 60cm circular needle or size needed to match stockinette gauge.
- set of matching dpns.
- US 7 or 4.5mm (or one size smaller than circular needle above) 24-inch or 60cm circular needle
- cable needle
- 2 stitch markers
- 2 stitch holders or waste yarn
- tapestry needle
- four 1-inch/2.5cm toggles (or 5/8-inch/1.5cm diameter buttons)