Skills required: long-tail cast-on, knitting, purling, knitting in the round, increasing, decreasing, knitting on dpns, picking up stitches, yarn over, working a twisted stitch pattern.
Construction: The body of the coat is knit flat and seamlessly from the top down for the hoodless version and with just one seam at the top of the hood for the hooded version (a seamless hood solution is suggested).
Stitches are picked up along each side edge and hood to work woven basket stitch band in one piece. The sleeves are knit in the round. Optional pockets can be added.
Latte Baby Coat
Perfect for an advanced beginner or intermediate knitter, this cozy little coat the perfect quick and unique knit for a baby, or a small boy or girl.
The individual pattern is available for purchase in pdf format for 5.75 Euros.
Sizes available: 0-3mo (3-6mo, 6-12mo, 12-18mo, 2T-3T, 3T-4T)
Finished garment has chest circumferences of 20 (22, 23, 24, 25.5, 26) inches or 51 (56, 58, 61, 64, 66) cm.
Other yarn suggestions: Knitpicks Swish Bulky or any other yarn with a light bulky or heavy worsted weight that gets you gauge (14 sts per 4 inches)
- Hoodless version: 1 (1, 1, 1, 1, 1) skein of Cascade Ecological Wool or Eco+ -- approximate yardage needed: 250 (275, 300, 350, 375, 400) yds or 230 (250, 275, 320, 340, 365) m.
- Hooded version: 1 (1, 1, 1, 1, 1.5) skeins of Cascade Ecological Wool or Eco+ -- approximate yardage needed: 300 (325, 375, 450, 470, 490) or 275 (300, 340, 410, 430, 450) m.
- US 10 / 6mm circular needles or size needed to get stockinette gauge.
- US 10 / 6mm double-pointed needles (for sleeves), or size needed to get stockinette stitch gauge.
- US 10.5 / 6.5mm circular needles or size needed to get woven basket stitch gauge.
- For the 2T-3T and 3T-4T sizes, hooded version, I recommend using circular needles at least 40-inch (100cm) long to accommodate all the stitches when working front band.
- 4 stitch markers
- tapestry needle
- 2 stitch holders or scrap yarn
- Four 3/4-inch (2 cm) diameter buttons (or more if desired)
14 sts x 20 rows = 4 inches or 10 cm in stockinette stitch using smaller needles
16 sts x 20 rows = 4 inches or 10 cm in woven basket stitch using bigger needles