Skills required: long tail and backward loop cast ons (links to tutorials provided), knitting, purling, increasing, decreasing, picking up stitches, binding off, working an applied I-cord (explanations provided), working a regular I-cord (explanations provided)
Construction: The yoke of this cardigan is knit seamlessly from the top down. Sleeve stitches are then put on hold while body is worked (button bands are worked as you go). Then sleeves stitches are put back on needles and worked in the round. Stitches are then picked up along the front neckline to work the applied I-cord edging. A few stitches are picked up at underarms to work I-cord tie closures.
When my children were born, I had an overwhelming feeling of gratitude and I thought a simple word, “merci” (French for thank you) would be a fitting name for this simple wrap cardigan.
As a new mother, I found such crossover garments to be particularly practical and sweet for a new (or not so new!) baby. They look great over simple pajamas or dressed up with a more elaborate outfit.
The beauty of this particular design is that it’s very gender-neutral. If you don’t know whether a new baby will be a boy or a girl, you can choose a neutral hue, and just add the color accents once the baby has arrived :) This design also looks beautiful when monochromatic.
The individual pattern is available for purchase in pdf format for 5.25 Euros (sizes 3mo to 8yo).
A FREE one-size (Newborn) version of the pattern is exclusively available to my newsletter subscribers.
- 3mo (6mo, 12mo, 18mo // 2yo, 4yo, 6yo, 8yo)
- To fit chest: 16 (17, 18, 19 // 21, 23, 25, 26.5) inches or 40.5 (43, 45.5, 48.5 // 53.5, 58.5, 63.5, 67.5) cm.
Garment chest: 18.25 (19, 20.25, 21.75 // 24, 25.5, 27.75, 29) inches or 46.5 (48.5, 51.5, 55 // 61, 65, 70.5, 73.5) cm.
Note on sizing: age labels are provided as a reference but each child is different, so please be sure to select a size based on child’s actual chest measurement or desired garment measurement. When in doubt, I recommend selecting a larger size.
- Main Color (MC): Approximately 350 (350, 400, 425 // 500, 575, 600, 675) yds or 320 (320, 366, 389 // 460, 526, 550, 615) meters of sport (5 ply) to dk (8 ply) weight yarn.
- Contrasting Color (CC): Approximately 40-60 yds or 35-55 meters of sport to dk weight yarn
- US4 or 3.5mm circular needle in 24-inch or 60cm length or size needed to match gauge.
Note: body of garment is not knit in the round. However, circular needles are needed because they hold all the stitches easily and because of their flexibility.
- US4 or 3.5mm double-pointed needles (for sleeves, applied I-cord and I-cord ties.)
- 6 stitch markers
- 2 pieces of scrap yarn to hold sleeve stitches
- tapestry needle
- 3 (4, 4, 4 // 4, 5, 5, 6) buttons ½-inch or 1.4cm in diameter
22 sts x 32 rows = 4 inches or 10 cm in stockinette stitch.
Please adjust your needle size if needed to achieve gauge.