Skills required: casting on, knitting, purling, increasing, decreasing, knitting in the round, yarn over, I-cord bind off (explanations provided),working a welt (explanations/link to tutorial provided), working a stitch pattern using elongated stitches (explanations/link to video tutorial provided), binding off.
Construction: This garment is knit seamlessly from the top down. The yoke is knit flat to the bottom of the button placket, then cap sleeves are bound off using an I-cord bind off. Front and Back are then worked separately for bust increases, then joined in the round. A welt is worked, and some increases are added, then the rest of the garment is worked in stockinette in the round to the embroidery stitch portion (a top and a dress length are suggested).
I wanted a romantic little girl dress, something with a hint of nostalgia but not too fussy. Think English garden tea parties! Something you could play croquet in :)
The embellished bottom hem adds a bit of lightness to a clean, polished design but the dress is still comfortable and easy to wear. Two lengths are suggested: top or dress.
The individual pattern is available for purchase in pdf format for 5.75 Euros.
Sizes available: 3mo (6mo, 12mo, 18mo // 2yo, 4yo, 6yo, 8yo)
To fit chest: 16 (17, 18, 19 // 21, 23, 25, 26.5) inches or 40.5 (43, 45.5, 48.5 // 53.5, 58.5, 63.5, 67.5) cm.
Garment chest at underarms: 16.25 (17.75, 18.25, 19 // 22.25, 23.75, 25.75, 27) inches or 41.5 (43, 46.5, 48.5 // 56.5, 60, 65, 68.5) cm. Please note: this garment has very little to no ease in the chest, the yarn used should have some stretch to it.
- Top version: Approximately 250 (300, 350, 400 // 450, 500, 600, 725) yds or 229 (274, 320, 366 // 411, 457, 549, 663) meters of sport weight yarn (please note: 100% cotton is not appropriate as it will likely not have enough stretch).
- Dress version: Approximately 300 (375, 425, 500 // 550, 625, 725, 850) yds or 274 (343, 389, 457 // 503, 571, 663, 777) meters.
- 24 sts x 32 rows = 4 inches or 10cm in stockinette stitch in the round after blocking using size A needle.
- 24 sts x 36 rows = 4 inches or 10cm in embroidery stitch in the round after blocking using size C needle.
- Size A: US 4 or 3.5 mm circular needle (or size needed to match stockinette stitch gauge). Length:16-inch or 40cm, (except for sizes 6yo and 8yo which require 24-inch or 60cm length)
- Size B: One to two sizes smaller than Size A circular needle, of the same length (to create welt).
- Size C: US 6 or 4mm 16-inch or 40cm circular needle of the same length (or size needed to match recommended embroidery stitch gauge).
- US 3 or 3.25 mm double-pointed needle or one size smaller than Size A (to work I-cord bind off)
- 4 stitch markers
- tapestry needle
- 2 pieces of scrap yarn
- two buttons ½-inch or 1.3cm in diameter