Skills required: long-tail cast on, knitting, purling, increasing, decreasing, knitting in the round, picking up stitches, working a simple cable pattern (chart and written instructions provided.), wet-blocking.
Construction: Ideal for an intermediate knitter, this cardigan is knit seamlessly from the top down, with an offset, work-as-you-go buttonhand. The raglan yoke is worked flat, with a simple cabled pattern on the right front, offset by garter stitch (the back is stockinette).The sleeve stitches are held while the body is worked, then the sleeve stitches are worked in the round. Both charts and written instructions are provided for the cable pattern. NOTE: This cardigan requires careful wet-blocking, I strongly discourage you from skipping this step.
Miel is French for “honey” (pronounced “mee-ehl”).
The lush texture of the honeycomb cable pattern is brought out by sweet garter stitch. The yarn chosen will take this covetable cardigan either in a cozy/soft, or a tweedy/rustic direction.
Only the right front features the cable panel. The left front is garter stitch while the back and sleeves are worked in stockinette stitch. So you only have to focus on the easily-memorized cable panel on one of the fronts as you work this cardigan.
This stylish piece is both special and practical, and suits boys as well as girls.
The individual pattern is available for purchase in pdf format for 5.75 Euros (sizes 3mo to 8yo).
- 3mo (6mo, 12mo, 18mo // 2yo, 4yo, 6yo, 8yo)
- To fit chest: 16 (17, 18, 19 // 21, 23, 25, 26.5) inches or 40.5 (43, 46, 48 // 53.5, 58.5, 63.5, 67.5) cm.
Garment chest: 20.25 (21, 22.25, 23 // 23.75, 25.75, 27.75, 28.75) inches or 51.5 (53.5, 56.5, 58.5 // 60.5, 65.5, 70.5, 73) cm.
Note on sizing: the fit is roomy to avoid distorting the cable motif: there is approximately 4” or 10cm positive ease built-in for the baby sizes, and 3” or 7.5 cm for the child sizes.)
- Approx 300 (350, 400, 450 // 500, 550, 650, 700) yds or 274 (320, 366, 411 // 457, 503, 549, 594) m of dk weight merino or merino blend yarn. Please make sure you use a yarn that will block well (no synthetics).
- US 6 or 4mm 24-inches or 60cm circular needle (or size needed to match stockinette stitch gauge)
- 1 set of matching dpns for sleeves
- US 4 or 3.5mm 24-inches or 60cm circular needle or two sizes smaller than above
- cable needle or dpn to work cable pattern
- 5 stitch markers (I recommend using a different color stitch marker for the Pattern marker.)
- tapestry needle
- 2 stitch holders or pieces of scrap yarn for sleeves
- 5 (5, 6, 6 // 7, 7, 8, 8) buttons 3/8 inch or 1 cm diameter or more if desired
21 sts x 28 rows = 4 inches or 10cm in stockinette stitch using larger needles, after blocking
22 sts x 40 rows (20 ridges) = 4 inches or 10cm in garter stitch using smaller needles, after blocking