Skills required:casting on, knitting, purling, increasing, decreasing, knitting in the round, working an easy textured stitch, short rows (optional), picking up stitches, binding off.
Construction: This sweater is worked seamlessly in the round from the top down, with a textured band that runs from the top of the yoke down the sleeves. The sleeves are put on hold while the body is worked, then the sleeves are worked in the round. Optional short rows can be worked to raise the back neck of the sweater for a better fit.
Sagano is the first pattern in the “From Japan With Love” pattern bundle. The other patterns in this bundle will be released throughout the year.
This sophisticated sweater features a simple yet striking textured band and thoughtful, understated details. It was inspired by my visit to the famous Sagano bamboo forest.
The individual pattern is available for purchase in pdf format for 5.75 Euros.
Sizes available: 3mo (6mo, 12mo, 18mo // 2yo, 4yo, 6yo, 8yo, 10yo)
To fit chest: 16 (17, 18, 19 // 21, 23, 25, 26.5, 28) inches or 40.5 (43, 45.5, 48.5 // 53.5, 58.5, 63.5, 67.5, 71) cm.
Garment chest: 17.5 (19.75, 21.25, 22 // 22.75, 25.25, 27.5, 28.25, 30.5) inches or 44.5 (50, 54, 56 // 58, 64, 70, 72, 77.5) cm.
Note: For an optimal fit, be sure to select a size according to the child’s actual chest size or the amount of ease desired. The age labels are for reference only.
- Approximately 300 (325, 375, 400 // 450, 575, 650, 750, 825) yards or 274 (297, 343, 366 // 411, 526, 594, 686, 754) meters of dk weight yarn.
- 21 sts x 28 rounds = 4 inches or 10 cm in stockinette stitch in the round using larger needles, after blocking
- US 6 or 4 mm 16-inch or 40 cm circular needle for four smallest sizes, 24-inch or 60 cm circular needle for five larger sizes (or size needed to match stockinette stitch gauge.)
- 1 set of matching dpns
- 1 set of US 4 or 3.5 mm dpns or 2 sizes smaller (1 size smaller for EU sizes) than above (for cuffs and neckline)
- 8 stitch markers (including one different color for the beginning of round marker, and if desired different colors for the four textured band markers)
- tapestry needle
- 2 stitch holders or pieces of scrap yarn for sleeves