Skills required: casting on, knitting, purling, knitting and purling through the back loop, increasing, decreasing, knitting in the round, working a cable pattern from charts, picking up stitches, three-needle bind off. Note: the cable pattern is charted only.
Construction: This vest is knit seamlessly from the bottom up, featuring an easy, intuitive cable pattern on both the front and the back. The body is worked in the round to the underarms, then the front and the back are worked flat. The shoulders are joined using a three-needle-bind off, then stitches are picked up at the neckline and armholes to form the ribbed edge. The neckline ribbing is worked flat, the armhole ribbing is worked in the round.
This deliciously preppy, unisex vest will dress up any outfit while keeping little tummies toasty. The cable texture is very stretchy, which makes for a comfortable and durable garment. The cable pattern itself is intuitive and easy to memorize, and it’s much easier than it looks!
Note: For an optimal fit, be sure to select a size according to the child’s actual chest size. The age labels are for reference only.
The individual pattern is available for purchase in pdf format for 5.25 Euros.
Sizes available: NB (3mo, 6mo, 12mo, 18mo // 2yo, 4yo, 6yo, 8yo)
To fit chest: 15 (16, 17, 18, 19 // 21, 23, 25, 26.5) inches or 38 (40.5, 43, 45.5, 48.5 // 53.5, 58.5, 63.5, 67.5) cm.
Garment chest at underarms: 15.5 (16, 17, 17.5, 18 // 21.75, 22.75, 24, 25.25) inches or 39.5 (40.5, 43, 44.5, 45.5 // 55, 58, 61, 64) cm.
Please note: This garment is very stretchy and there is a lot of “give” in the chest area. It’s best to go by child’s actual chest measurement (“To Fit Chest” above) when selecting a size.
- Approximately 200 (225, 250, 300, 325 // 450, 500, 575, 600) yds or 183 (206, 229, 274, 297 // 411, 457, 526, 549) meters of worsted weight yarn.
- 19 sts x 28 rounds = 4 inches or 10cm in stockinette stitch in the round using larger needle, after blocking.
- Rounds 4 to 9 of Central cable pattern (Chart B) in the round using larger needle, after blocking, measure 2.25” or 5.5cm across and 0.75” or 2cm high.
- cable needle
- US 7 or 4.5 mm circular needle (or size needed to match stockinette stitch gauge). Length: 16-inch or 40cm, (except for sizes 6yo and 8yo which require 24-inch or 60cm length)
- US 5 or 3.75 mm circular needle (or two sizes smaller than above). Length: 16-inch or 40cm, (except for sizes 6yo and 8yo which require 24-inch or 60cm length) for hem.
- US 5 or 3.75mm double-pointed needles (or matching above) for armhole and neckline ribbing.
- 2 stitch markers or more if desired for keeping track of cables (I recommend using a different color for the beginning of round marker).
- tapestry needle
- 3 pieces of scrap yarn or stitch holders