Skills required: cast on, knitting, purling, decreasing, knitting in the round, picking up stitches (or provisional cast on), three-needle bind off, yarn over.
Construction: This bonnet is knit seamlessly and features a built-in scarflet with a pretty leaf-shaped closure. The front of the bonnet is knit flat; the crown is knit in the round after the scarflet is finished by a three-needle bind off at the back neck.
Buds and Blossoms Bonnet
This bonnet / scarflet combo will keep babies’ heads shielded from both pesky drafts and the sun. This design is functional, quick and fun to knit, and completely seamless.
I can already imagine a fresh crop of adorable munchkin-flowers looking precious in their bonnet. But the beauty of this design is that baby boys can wear it too -- the ruffle is optional, hence the name “Buds” and Blossoms, get it? ;)
The individual pattern is available for purchase in pdf format for 4.50 Euros.
Sizes available: Newborn (Baby, Toddler)
For head circumference up to: 116 (17, 18) inches or 40.5 (43, 45.5) cm.
Finished bonnet is approximately: 9.5 (11.25, 12.75) inches or 24.5 (28.5, 32.5) cm around face, ear to ear
Note: this measurement does not include the “scarf” portion and assumes some negative ease for a better fit.
Bonnet depth is: 5.25 (5.75, 6.25) inches or 13.5 (14.5, 16) cm.
Approximately 80 (100, 125) yds or 73 (91, 114) meters of worsted weight yarn in Main Color yarn.
For ruffle option: an extra 30 (35, 35) yds or 27 (32, 32) meters of worsted weight yarn in Contrasting Color yarn.
- US 8 or 5mm circular needle or size needed to match stockinette stitch gauge that is 16” or 40cm long.
- 1 set of matching dpns for crown of hat.
- US 6 or 4mm straight or circular needles or size needed to match garter stitch gauge.
- 1 set of matching dpns for scarflet leaf edges.
- 2 stitch markers
- tapestry needle
- 2 stitch holders or scrap yarn
- 18 sts x 26 rows = 4 inches or 10cm in stockinette stitch using larger needles, after blocking
- 20 sts x 44 rows (i.e. 22 garter ridges) = 4 inches or 10cm in garter stitch using smaller needles, after blocking
Please adjust your needle size if needed to achieve gauge.